But it is also good to read books by independent authors who have often self published. These books are often far from perfect.
It is good to read stuff like this because it makes you analyse -
- why is this dialogue not working?
- why is she using the passive voice?
- the plot didn't make sense at that point? What would I have done instead?
- why did that character not came alive?
- why does that development in the plot seem completely unbelievable?
- has she succeeded in creating locations that I can relate to?
- how would I have handled the descriptive passages differently?